The Mission of Toastmasters International
Toastmasters International is the leading movement devoted to making effective oral communication a worldwide reality.
Through its member Clubs, Toastmasters International helps men and women learn the arts of speaking, listening, and thinking — vital skills that promote self-actualization, enhance leadership potential, foster human understanding, and contribute to the betterment of mankind.
It is basic to this mission that Toastmasters International continually expand its worldwide network of Clubs, thereby offering ever-greater numbers of people the opportunity to benefit from its programs.
A Toastmaster’s Promise
Being a Toastmaster means more than simply making a commitment to self-development. Everyone who joins a Toastmasters Club is making a commitment to the Club, to its members, and to the organization as a whole.
As a member of Toastmasters International and my Club, I promise…
- To attend club meetings regularly;
- To prepare all of my speeches to the best of my ability, basing them on projects in the Communication and Leadership Program manual or the Advanced Communication Leadership Program manuals;
- To prepare for and fulfill meeting assignments;
- To provide fellow members with helpful, constructive evaluations;
- To help the Club maintain the positive, friendly environment necessary for all members to learn and grow;
- To serve my Club as an officer when called upon to do so;
- To treat my fellow Club members and our guests with respect and courtesy;
- To bring guests to Club meetings so they can see the benefits Toastmasters membership offers;
- To adhere to the guidelines and rules for all Toastmaters educational and recognition programs;
- To maintain honest and highly ethical standards during the conduct of all Toastmasters activities.
The Toastmasters Experience
Today you may be more comfortable communicating by electronic mail or telephone than communicating face-to-face. Speaking to large or small groups, or even one-to-one, may intimidate or frighten you. In Toastmasters you will learn how to successfully formulate, express, and sell your ideas and yourself and get rid of that nervousness you feel when called upon to speak. You will improve your ability to listen to and evaluate other people’s ideas, and you will learn leadership skills along the way.
By joining your Toastmasters Club you have embarked on a journey that will greatly improve your life.
To find out more: